Who I am as a Writer

I would like to think of myself as an emotional writer. Growing up my friends and I passed notes all the time, especially if we were talking about how we felt.  For me notes were a way for me to deal with people, without having to deal with their reactions face to face and with no interruptions.  Isn’t that what writing is all about? The freedom of writing with no judgment and no time limit just keep writing until your point is met without fear of someone altering your opinion.

Even as a reader I like to read about emotional life events. Reading books based on real life events and people Based on true stories are my favorite.  Reading about some ones good times or bad times without a break or interruption in their life.  If it were not for biographies and memoirs we wouldn’t know why someone did what they did or how they accomplished it and how they felt during and after.

Writing for me was a way out.  Mainly when I was hurt is when I would right. Writing to friends and family was easy to me.  It was a way for them to know how I truly felt.  I didn’t have to deal with the interruptions of their facial or body expressions. That dreadful sigh of disapproval or that embarrassing laugh because the reader doesn’t agree.  All these actions when feelings are said aloud would alter my opinion or feelings because I would feel bad or too embarrassed to truly explain myself.

This semester I hope to achieve a more creative way of writing to be maybe more fictional. To not only express how I feel but to think outside the heart and try to see things in others eyes and how they might feel.  My goal is to be more opinionated and to allow that interruption of someone else’s views challenge my feelings.

One thought on “Who I am as a Writer

1. I like your phrase here about Dreadful sigh of disapproval etc. and more generally your consideration of advantages of writing over speaking. It’s a powerful statement: “Writing was my way out.”

I hope you will have the chance to explore “a creative way of writing” but I’m afraid you won’t be writing fiction. Even though we’re doing all nonfiction, though, you can use some of tools of fiction writer to make your writing vivid and engaging. That’s the goal, anyway…:)